Thursday, June 2, 2011

DAY 2: WELLS, ME to LITTLETON, MA 96 miles

Well day two certainly was a mixed bag. We started early at 9AM and really got off to a great start. Justin made us an incredible breakfast and showed us an absurd amount of hospitality. Thanks so much. It was also great to see Josie. We cut through the back roads of Wells and the first 12 miles or so were great. Our bags did come off once each but that was the only time of the day- a huge improvement! Duct tape is a hell of an invention. Then we hit our first detour of the day. This added a few miles and hills and kinda broke our flow. We got back on track and had a couple of great moments. One was a lady asking us "Where ya headed?" and getting to respond "Los Angeles". The other was hitting New Hampshire. Biking out of state. Epic.

New Hampshire was tough. Tons of hills and it just felt like we were always going up. We also dealt with a stiff headwind for probably 80-90% of the day. Tough chirp. Lunch was definitely the highlight of my day. The sandwich/tortellini salad was incredible. Epping Market in Epping, New Hampshire. Really hit the spot and carried me through the afternoon.The afternoon brought hills and more headwinds. That's life I guess. Even a rain shower hit us. We saw a Turkey- our first real wildlife sighting so that was a win. I started hitting the wall around mile 45-50. Then my momentum turned when a strange car driven by two teenagers gave me a hard time and honked at me. I yelled back "Get a job!" to which they flipped me off. This really fired me up and propelled me through the next 40 miles. It was just the kick in the butt I needed. I rode hard and well for really the rest of the day. Google maps sent us astray a couple of times and we messed up ourselves as well. In total we added at least 12 miles, 96 is the conservative total and we planned on 84. Spirits were a little low and we were out on the trail for about 12 hours.

Getting to Sabby's was bliss. He's almost as good a host as he is a friend (and he's a stupendous host...). A solid welcoming crew of Littletoners formed and it was overwhelming. What could be better than seeing all of these great friends? Seeing all these friends and housing 3 burgers at the SAME TIME! WOOO we must tell Gatsby of this day! I think Greg's already asleep and I'm going to do the same. Tomorrow should be easier, a 70 mile journey to Amherst, MA to stay with Dave. There's some diesel hills but at least it's shorter than today.

ALSO: watch out for turtles! I saw a few dead ones today and it was a sad sight. Help em out!

Double also: thanks to our PR guy Woody for putting in some time. It really is appreciated.

I'm working on getting the Google Checkout account set for donations. Just waiting on account/router numbers.

Day 2 in the books. Thanks for spreading the word and keep doing so. The support is amazing. If anyone has any hookups in the Albany area please let us know. Also anything between Albany and Ithaca would be very helpful. Thanks

Love
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. to L.A. 2011: Bike Trip Across the USA's Facebook Wall