Sunday, June 26, 2011

day 22+: Augusta, MO to Boonville, MO and beyond. around 150 miles of biking.

The day started off interestingly. We had incredible thunderstorms all night and when I woke up I couldn't find my tent bag. Not good. After searching for 20min with Greg I found igt in some bushes around 100 yards away. It was like winning the ultimate game of capture the flag.
Then Greg and I rolled along the Katy Trail. We moved a bit slowly but still put up some miles. We stopped at a place callled trailside tavern for lunch which was pretty good. Then I got a call from my mom saying that my uncle who had been on the bad side of a battle with cancer had taken a turn for the worst. I decided I needed to bike 170ish miles more through the night to Kansas City. After a debate with mums and discussion with Greg, this seemed like the best option.

I rode pretty hard. I decided to double check the mileage and it was a lot more than I thought. I regrouped and with mums help decided to pick up a bus in boonville and ride that to kc. Riding at night was spooky. I had to shoo 6 deer and countless other critters away. I finally got to boonville and couldn't locate the bus stop. The directions took me to a storage center/garage. I drove around and around before getting confirmation that this was in fact the spot. I got back there 5 min before the bus was supposed to leave, but the bus never showed. I was now exhausted and upset. I passed out on the sidewalk like a hobo for 45min. Then I rolled to a gas station and got breakfast and a cab ride in a sketchy van with a dude named marvin. I put my stuff in a courtyard hotel for free thanks to a kind man named sean jackson. I chilled at the airport for 3hrs and flew to ny. Ny held a few delays but I eventually landed at 1230 and made it to the hospital by 230. I spent the next 3 hrs with my uncle and slept at 6 after being awake for nearly 47hrs straight. Long day. Hopefully ill be returning to kc Tuesday night and riding Wednesday.can't wait.

Love
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. to L.A. 2011: Bike Trip Across the USA's Facebook Wall