Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DAY 7: Morrisville, NY to Ithaca, NY- 61 miles

BEAUTIFUL DAY AGAIN! WHAT A STREAK! man the weather has been a gift, we can only hope to maintain our good fortune. We awoke early and got a solid start. Dan saw us off and we promised him updates/a postcard at the end of the trip. We went to the Valero and I housed 14 donuts for breakfast. mini donuts but still, I was feelin good. Greg's clip had an issue on his pedal so that slowed us down a bit. He was forced to ride with only one clip and handled it like a champ. respect.

my day started out kinda rough. my knee was worse than yesterday and really slowed me down early on. i had to force myself to walk a couple of hills so that I didn't stress it out. Eventually I took a bunch of Advil and was good to go. For lunch we stopped at the red and white cafe in deruyter. it was pretty neat, I had two sandwiches and a smoothie. then we really hit our stride and crushed miles all the way to Ithaca. We went through Cortland, which was another kinda crappy, outdated city. The weather held and we drank a good amount of water to combat the 90 degree heat. I did get a flat tire a mile and a half from Carla's.  We will deal with it tomorrow.

man is it great to see Carla! What a great woman! So much hospitality and an incredible dinner. She also drove Greg and I to see Glenn the bike wizard. He replaced greg's fork, redid my griptape, and installed the new back rack that I bought. All of this was huge and will definitely pay off for a while. It was like this black market bike shop a little ways outta town that Carla drove us to. Way cheaper prices and great service.

We saw two more deer.

Then we went out for ice cream and got a great driving tour of Ithaca. I'm really pumped to hang out here and rest. We will be new men for Thursday. Overall. today was probably our smoothest day and the terrain got much easier after the first 10-15 miles. We're already jonesin to get back on the road.

Ill post about my travels tomorrrow!

Love
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A. to L.A. 2011: Bike Trip Across the USA's Facebook Wall