Friday, June 3, 2011

DAY 3: LITTLETON TO AMHERST, MA 70 miles

Hello friends and fans,

Today was a bit smoother. We got off to a later than ideal start but it was well worth it. Sabby made us an incredible breakfast and I absolutely housed it. I can eat more than a small family. 3 eggs, 5 pieces of bacon, and a bagel with peanut butter. The journey started out extremely smooth. Low 70s and sunny but again with a headwind that accompanied us most of the day. It did calm down as we got closer to Amherst.

Google Maps only sent us down one bad road that only cost us a mile or two. Much better.

The morning was fairly uneventful. We had a great lunch at Mike's in Westminster. A huge italian and another order of fries. We were warned about hills that loomed on 202 so we didn't push the pace very hard. The highlight of the early afternoon was getting complemented on my backside by a strange obese woman.  She begged me to ride a mile for her because she was "too overweight to do so herself". Solid pickup line. I did ride a mile for her.

Some neat small villages made up the mid afternoon and then we met the Daniel Shays Highway. Tough. 3 or 4 hills that were each a mile or two long. They were long and gradual and very tough but we handled them like champs. The downhills were epic and I hit a new record speed exceeding 35mph. WOOOO

Then we met Prescott ave. sooo many steep hills- a solid 6 or 7! Absolutely absurd. Around every bend I thought it would level off, but no! My dreams were shattered. I almost made it up all of them but cracked a third of the way up the last one and walked. It was demoralizing. I still did well to make it as far as I did.

After that it was a solid coast to Dave's over some sketchy dirt roads. We made it around 730. Lauren is around for the night which is awesome. Her smiles complete me. hahaha.

Starting to get a bit sore. My achilles and area where my quad kinda meets up with my knee are a bit sore. My back has also been struggling each day from around mile 40 on. Such is life. Can't stop, Won't stop. We're currently working on figuring out the next few days of the journey to Ithaca.

I think the most random thoughts on the road! Today the highlights were the songs Swing Swing by the All American Rejects, that stupid song about hearts not breaking even or something, and the movie/book Holes. I'm a strange creature.

Thanks to everyone for their support. The Littleton crew (Mike, Sabby and family) and the Baecher's have really bookended the day with excellence. All the text messages, calls, and facebook stuff has been huge and really matters. It honestly got me up a few hills today.

On to New York tomorrow hopefully. Breakin borders on the reg.

Love
JASON! (DAVE'S CAPS LOCK BUTTON GETS STUCK REALLY EASILY AND I'M TIRED OF BATTLING IT)

1 comment:

  1. Atta Gurl LB, way to make it into the post... JASON! Keep it up your doin awesome! So proud of you... Dont forget to get me a postcard from the randomest possible place you can!... Also next time you have a hill just think of the last pull you drove from Georgia to Btown. Ke$ha all the way.

    ReplyDelete

L.A. to L.A. 2011: Bike Trip Across the USA's Facebook Wall